Minimum of 2 Greeting Card Designs
1- painted Greeting Card using MIXER BRUSH
1- free choice of Photoshop techniques
How to create your painted card using the mixer brush:
- New Document > 5”x7” or 7”x5”@ 300 ppi, RGB
- Choose from these categories: Blank/Thank You, Birthday, Winter Holiday/Seasons Greetings
- Select an image to use as reference from: http://search.creativecommons.org/
- Save image to G: > Digital Art > 03 Greeting Card
- File > Place your image in your new document and re-size (hold shift to maintain proportions)
- Create a Layer > New Layer on top of the image layer and label it "Painting"
- WATCH: Using the Mixer Brush
- Create a painting from your photo using the Mixer Brush... it will simply you image- use the direction of the brush strokes to define shapes and textures.
- Use new layers for different areas or different objects of the painting. Label each layer as you go to help keep them organized.
- Try different techniques; maybe just draw cloud shapes but not the actual sky. You may choose to use the sky from your original image.
- When you have completed the shapes, return to the first layer of shapes, and create another new layer.
- Select a color of paint and begin filling in the shape, using the outline you drew as a guide.
- You don’t need to stay inside the lines . . . and you don’t need to fill the shapes solidly with color.
- Vary the shade and tone of the shape. Use the image to show you where the highlights and shadows should be placed.
- Remember that you are simplifying the image and abstracting it, so don’t try to put too much detail into the shapes.
- When done you may want to distinguish parts of your image using black outlines, create a New Layer on top of the painting and title it 'Outlines'
- Set the color palette to the default (black) Foreground and (white) Background by pressing the letter D.
- Select the Brush Tool in the Tool Box by pressing the letter B. (you may want to select the 'PAINTING' workspace)
- Set the brush tip to “Hard Round”. This will allow you to draw fine lines with the tablet pen when not pressing down hard, and create wide lines when you press a little harder.
- Begin to draw outlines of shapes in your image. Vary the line weight by varying the pressure you use with the pen.
TURN IN CARDS TO:
S: > McKay > Digital Art > Period > 03 Greeting Cards > lastname_first_card1.psd