For this project you are designing a logo for your own Design Studio.
Complete the Design Studio Template to get started:
Your Design Studio Name: Come up with a name for your studio- make sure to google the name to see if someone else already uses it!
Perspective/Mission: In a sentence what is your mission as a design firm? mission statement- a formal summary of the aims and values of a company, organization, or individual.
‘Collective Progression’ ‘ We are highly collaborative, multidisciplinary, media agnostic and audience-centric. All of our work is driven by the desire to make better experiences, explore the world and seek new boundaries to break. The word Nemo is Latin for no one.’ -Nemo Design
‘VSA Partners designs and activates brands to outperform in the modern world.’ -VSA Partners
Design Icons/ Inspiration: Post 3 examples of design work which style you like. You must include the designer/studio name with each image.
Some words to describe design styles: Clean, Classic, Bold, Modern, Fresh, Retro, Minimalist, Contemporary, Futurist, Handwritten, Playful, Edgy
Once you make some decisions about your studio, start the design process. You will DRAW/Sketch your design ideas. You will have a minimum of 10 DIFFERENT ideas due the beginning of next class. Next we will digitize our logos by scanning them and creating them in illustrator.
- Research and come up with a general concept
- Start by sketching out some ideas
- Clean up sketches and then scan them
- In a new Illustrator Document, Place the scan jpg on a layer and lock it
- Use the pen tool to trace your sketch: see example here
- You can also try to Image Trace your sketch... but usually tracing it with the pen tool is quicker in the end.
- Once you create your initial design, brainstorm & make variations of the design - similar ideas, just an icon, just typography, linear, radial
- Once you have a final design, try colorways of the design... although it is always good to have the design read well in black & white first.
2/17 - Design Studio Template & 10 sketches due
2/19 - Scan & Design logo
2/24 - Create 5 variations of your design & Mid-project feedback
3/5 - Complete logos & create a presentation board with you best designs
3/9 - Go to your classmates website, read about their design studios & look at their logos- Select the top 3 your would like to work for and write a few sentences about why you are interested in working for them. List of websites here: http://goo.gl/tl1XXS
2/24 - Mid Project Blog Post - Post a picture of your design ideas so far. Write about some of your ideas and design process. What is the name & meaning of your design studio? What is your design philosophy? How do your designs represent that company (style, symbolism)?
3/5 - Presentation Board - Select your best design(s) and copy and paste them in a new document that will be your presentation board. Include a color logo, grey scale logo and show the logo on a darker background. Also, include a sample of the colors and fonts used and your studio's philosophy. See example to the right.
Look at Style Guide Examples here
Step 2- When finished with your presentation board Save for the web and post to your blog with reflection on your design project that addresses these questions:
- Why did you select the design studio name that you did? (Planning)
- Specifically, how does your logo(s) represent your design studio? What design choices did you make to represent the personality and style of the studio? How will the logo reach/engage the type of customers & clientele the studio is targeting? (Planning)
- Specifically, what did you learn while doing this project (technically, composition-ally, and/or other)?
- What issues/problems did you encounter while creating your design? What did you do to overcome those challenges? (Persistence & Perseverance)
- How did your logo design change from you original sketches? (Planning)
Don't forget to kern your type! Practice with the kerning game: http://type.method.ac/
Need help? How do you.....? Check out these links
About Paths in Illustrator | Layer & Placing a sketch | Tracing with the Pen tool | Making Symmetrical Objects | Using the ellipse tool | Creating Symmetrical Curves (like a mouth) | Turning lines into Shapes | Offset Paths for Dynamic Lines | Wrapping a Pattern around a circular path | Offset Path tool | PATHFINDER explained |
Logo Design History
Read this for an overview of the design process.
Common Symbols in Logos
Clever Logos with hidden symbols
Symbolism in Logo Design
How NOT to design a logo
Step-by-step Logo Design
Design Classic: Black Flag Logo
How Google got it's colorful logo
Becoming a successful logo designer
46 Illustration Logo Design tutorials
Why Simplicity is best in Logo Design